Yep, it’s a quarter of the way through the year, and for wont of anything else to write about, the house being in a state of ignored, the kids not appreciating Firefly thus having to watch the Damn Football because the Smallest Child’s team is playing badly, I thought I’d give you an update on the resolutions I sort of made…
Always something there to remind you…
- Force myself to write more.
- Use a paper diary and the calendar to good effect.
- Do something fucking creative with my spare time instead of bloody Candy Crush.
Stop fucking swearing all the time. Fuck.
- Now I’ve got exercise happening, lets see what we can do about food.
- Writing more has been sucked up by work words (however, this is a post for no reason, so hey… I suppose it counts.)
- Reading – quick count and I have read ten and a half books in the first quarter this year. This is actually pretty good, as long as I keep the momentum up. I’m reading a good un at the moment – Paying Guests by Sarah Walters. It’s all very genteel at the moment, so it will be interesting to see what happens next. I call shenanigans. There often is.
- The paper diary and calendar are working ok. I’ve only (only???) missed three things so far – a dress up day at school for Mayhem, another excursion slip disappeared into the ether (yay for primary school office ladies), and Chaos ‘lost’ another thing in his school bag. Oh, and I forgot swimming. But in my defence, it’s been on a Tuesday since 2003 and only changed to Thursday three weeks before the end of term. I’ve got a weekly planner on the go now, in the probably vain hope I’ll remember every week next term.
- Castleville’s creative isn’t it? I have dragged the crochet out, though. It’s getting cool enough.
- Yeah, I reckon I have that one under control, more or less. Thank fuck. Oops. More or less, orright. I’ve certainly cut down on the swears though, and it’s been noticed by other people that I have been making an effort. However, this is subject to change without notice, and how much Word and Excel and PowerPoint I have to contend with. And stupid people.
- Food? Yeah, $3 bag of potato gems for lunch. Forgot to get something out for dinner? Takeaway. Sometimes twice in a week. Or crap from the freezer. I’ve been throwing out vegetables. Got to work on this one.
So, considering it’s a quarter of the way through the year, I am making satisfactory-ish progress. I took Chaos to an organising workshop the other day. He wasn’t sure what to expect, or what it was going to be about. However, he spent the entire hour writing stuff in his notebook so I suspect that he got quite a lot out of it (including “listen yo mama”). I got a bit out of it as well. I do really well with some stuff and REALLY badly with others. I did three months worth of filing on Sunday. It took seven (7) minutes and the whole lot was away. I culled warranties for things we don’t have. I had to find a receipt for the fridge. It was right where it was supposed to be. (And we’re probably getting a new fridge). I now have a three-phase system in place:
- In-box – where everything goes when it arrives. This is to be checked and emptied twice a week. I think Sunday and Wednesday will work. Rubbish in the bin, stuff I need to deal with either goes in the action folder for later or is dealt with there and then, stuff I don’t need to deal with goes in the blue folder that’s yet to be named.
- Action folder – Bills, stuff I need to sign and send back, stuff that’s pending/waiting
- Blue folder – this is supposed to be archive and filing. Archive is stuff I might need later so I’d better keep (like the fridge receipt!) and Mayhem’s swimming certificate. I’m not sure what he wants me to do with it, but hey.
So, we shall also see how that rolls. I’m planning to write myself some weekly/monthly lists as well to keep on top of basics around the house – like sheet changing! But right now, I’m sitting in my warm, dry and clean-ish house and yeah, life’s good. even if I do need a new fridge!