Far out, brussels sprout
**Just a little something I prepared earlier…
I have had a week of it this week. Nothing major that I can point my finger and go “A-HA. THIS is why my week is a bit shit.” Nope, it was a whole lot of teensy tiny little irritations that all managed to pile up and up until I was looking for a needle of hope in a haystack of irritation. Yeah, I’m a bit woe is fucking me and engaging in quite a lot of bridge building. But the icing on the cake was yesterday.
I got in to work really late, after a couple of appointments; then I had a meeting to go to that started not long after I arrived. I had an hour to grab a bite, eat it and prep for the next meeting, so I went downstairs to the cafe in the building I work in to get something to eat. Now, you’d think that a cafe with 800 captive punters on site, and a couple more hundred across the road would not only be extremely experienced at making all the things, but would also be quick and efficient. All I wanted was a cheese and tomato toastie and an iced coffee, so down I went.
- Girlie: Hello. Can I help you?
- Me: Yes, I would like a skinny iced coffee with ice-cream but no cream, and a cheese and tomato toasted sandwich. Here is my fancy take away cup for you to make the iced coffee in.
- Girlie: Looks blank. So, that was a skinny latte?
- Me: Um. Skinny iced coffee.
- Girlie: Oh. Ok then.
- Me: and a cheese and tomato toasted sandwich
- Girlie: Oh. Ok then. That will be $4.50
- Me: Um. Iced coffee and a toastie?
- Girlie: Oh. Ok then. $11
I sat down to wait while the Girlie made my lunch. Please note that at this point I am somewhat peckish and really quite under caffeinated. And I am on a very tight time limit.
After a couple of minutes…
- Girlie: Um. Excuse me. What salads did you want on your sandwich?
- Me: Um. Just a toasted cheese and tomato sandwich on white?
- Girlie: Oh. Ok then.
At this point, I am ever so slightly concerned about my lunch. But hey, she must have mixed me up with someone else. Cheese and tomato toastie, iced coffee, all good.
Then the Coffee Girlie appears with my cup in hand…
- Coffee Girlie: Iced chocolate for Maudy?
Explained to the poor Coffee Girlie that I actually ordered iced coffee and she looked horrified and ran off to the kitchen with my cup in hand. Another bloke came out and helped her make me a coffee, then handed it over – I asked about my sandwich, and suggested that I was potentially a little bit concerned about what I was going to be eating. He went and investigated.
And there was investigation of a sandwich bag and investigation of a docket and a discussion with another chap and then there was some making of another sandwich – one that didn’t have ham in it. Many apologies and a voucher for a free coffee later… I made it upstairs with some food. And some trepidation.
Fortuitously, it was delicious.